Tuesday, February 17, 2015

On Seeing

I'm told my scenes are very visual, the description full yet subtle and I believe that's because I really see what's around me, all the time, and that translates back onto the page. 

The clinking of cutlery, trying to wave down a busy waiters, the laughter from a booth not far away--all these things tell you're in a busy, perhaps loud restaurant. That's what show, don't tell means. I think that is the reason why, as an author, it's so important to get out there into the world with eyes (and ears) wide-open. Boring things I'd been forced to watch or go to, even years ago, have come back into my mind as the perfect addition to a scene. People watching, curiosity, even a bit of nosiness is the food of good scene writing. Also, I often find myself looking at paintings, such as those by Norman Rockwell, and try to figure out what's really going on. If I'm bored or have time, I make up a story about it in my mind. Check out the ones below. Norman actually makes it quite easy if you look close enough.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment